My photo
Associated with overseas education and Managing Director of Atlas Consultants representing some of the leading institutes/universities in Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Involved with student recruitment and marketing from past 17 years. EATC qualified education counselor as per the requirement of Australian Education International. Currently the executive member for central pool for “Association of Australian Education Representatives in India (www.aaeri.org)”. Helping and guiding students with courses & career options abroad.

Tuesday, 28 February 2017

There is nothing like Great Ocean Drive - Victoria

A 90 minute drive from Melbourne's city centre is the starting point of the Great Ocean Drive.  It spans 390 kilometres from the town of Torquay to Nelson on the South Australian border. This is one of the world’s most iconic scenic coastal routes which is voted one of the world’s best scenic drives. A must see for every one

Monday, 27 February 2017

Student Part Time work - Australia

International students studying in Australia are allowed to work part-time for up to 40 hours per fortnight. During semester breaks students are allowed to work unlimited hours.

Most colleges and universities have a careers office, which regularly posts employment vacancies. 

Other options of finding jobs are thru local community news papers and networking. Students will have to meet people, go and personally drop resumes at various spots which can include local service stations, fast food joints, restaurants and other business establishments. Good communication and English speaking skills help a lot. Talk in a friendly matured manner and meet the managers and other crew. Give them an opinion that you are a fast learner and will work to the best of your ability.

The minimum wage in Australia is around AUD 15.00 to AUD 19.00 per hour. Most of the students working part time are working on minimum wage rate. Another factor is in part-time jobs students may not get enough hours every week. So I advise students not to go to Australia thinking that part-time jobs are easy and they can take care of all their expenses.

Students must also be careful that this part-time work does not interfere with their study program.
Indian students studying in Australia are generally working in service stations, departmental stores, warehouses, restaurants and security agencies. It is the same situation also in USA, UK or Canada. These part-time jobs actually build their self esteem and gives them good exposure/experience. Its a great opportunity also to improve your English language speaking skills 

Part-time work is not difficult to find if you have thge right attitude, good English language speaking skills and presentation skills.  Cities like Melbourne, Darwin, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane have a lot of part-time openings however there is strong competition. Some times students may not find time as majority of the time goes for their studies and assessments.

Therefore I strongly advise students not to depend on part-time work for their full expenses. Students must have sufficient support from their homes and should have a back-up. It is very important for students to concentrate on their studies before looking for work.  

Nishidhar Reddy
Managing Director
Benefits of studying in a regional University in Australia

There are a number of higher education providers located in regional and country Australia, which give you the opportunity to explore ‘the real Australia’ outside the big capital cities

A few cities in Australia have been given the status of being regional. These towns or cities are generally bit away from the main cities of Australia but in themselves they are developed and advanced cities.

Regional cities of Australia have all the facilities that are available in larger cities but have had less population growth. The universities situated in regional areas are amongst the Top Best Australian Universities. Many large companies are situated in these cities.

Some regional universities have been in existence for half a century or more, attract many students from metropolitan areas and overseas and have deserved international reputations for innovative approaches to teaching and research.

A few examples of regional cities Adelaide, Tasmania (Hobart), Ballart, Townsville, Rockhampton, Darwin etc

 A few benefits of studying in a regional based University
§                *  Low cost of living as compared to larger cities
§               *  Availability of part time jobs
§              *  Higher minimum wages while working part time
§              *  Chances of gaining extra 5 points towards Permanent Residency
§              *  Less competition

Popular Regional Australian universities:
§  *University of Tasmania 
§  *University of Ballarat - Main Campus @ Ballarat, Victoria
§  *Central Queensland University
§  *Charles Darwin University
§  *James Cook University
§  *Southern Cross University
§  *University of New England
§  *University of Southern Queensland
§  *University of South Australia
§  *University of Adelaide
§  *University of Sunshine Coast 

  PR Benefit
If you are thinking about applying for permanent residency in Australia once your studies are over, living and studying in a regional area will give you a distinct advantage. Study in a regional area will grant you five extra points in the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s points test for skilled migration visa applications.



The RIGHT University for me ....

Choosing the RIGHT course and the RIGHT university is a big decision and I am well aware that many students are confused about this.

Apart from the academics students must also consider other factors like the location, weather, size of the city, the cost of tuition fee, cost of housing,  availability of part-time jobs etc. The institute should suit you both academically and personally.

Academics play a huge role in determining the right university or college  for you. But so does location. Where do you want to study?

Remember that this is the place where you will live, study and socialize for the next few years.
Larger cities like Melbourne and Sydney will definitely be expensive in terms of rent and accommodation, but again the exposure you receive will be different. Cities like Wollongong. Perth, Darwin, Brisbane and Gold Coast also have excellent options for Indian students.

Australian Universities (State Wise)

Australian Capital Territory
·         Australian National University
·          University of Canberra

* University of Canberra 

New South Wales
·         Australian Catholic University
·          Charles Sturt University
·         Macquarie University
·          Southern Cross University  
·          University of New England
·         University of New South Wales
·         University of Newcastle  
·         University of Sydney
·         University of Technology, Sydney
·         Western Sydney University
·         University of Wollongong  

Northern Territory
·         Charles Darwin University  

·         Bond University 
·          CQ University  
·         Griffith University
·         James Cook University
·          Queensland University of Technology
·         University of Queensland
·         University of Southern Queensland 
·          University of the Sunshine Coast  
South Australia
·         Carnegie Mellon University
·          Flinders University  
·         Torrens University Australia
·         University College London  
·         University of Adelaide
·         University of South Australia
·         University of Tasmania

·         Deakin University
·         Federation University of Australia
·         La Trobe University  
·         Monash University  
·          RMIT University
·         Swinburne University of Technology
·         University of Divinity
·         University of Melbourne
·          Victoria University

Western Australia
·         Curtin University  
·         Edith Cowan University  
·         Murdoch University
·         University of Notre Dame Australia
·         University of Western Australia  

Education Loans for overseas education

Financing your studies is one of the most important factor to consider when you choose to study abroad.  Please be aware that studying overseas can be expensive affair. The cost of continues to rise from time to time.

Many Indian students are taking education loans to finance their education abroad. The education loan for studying abroad are provided for job oriented professional, technical Graduation Degree courses, or Post Graduation Degree and Diploma courses like MCA, MBA, MS, etc offered by reputed universities.

All major banks in India grant education loans for students wanting to study abroad. These loans are subject to many terms and conditions. In many cases students the student or his parents have provide security for the loan he/she gets. This security can be in form of immovable assets like land, house or other properties.
Please also note that banks DO NOT give these loans to anyone who applies for them. 

Some points to be noted:
·         The first condition is that admission should be confirmed. Students must have an offer letter from the foreign university (Loans are not given for correspondence courses.)
·         The past academic record of the loan seeker should also be satisfactory.
·         Loans generally covers course fees, hostel fees, cost of books, equipment, and one way fare to the place of study
·         Every bank may have a different criteria to assess the loan limit, evidence of income like salary slips, IT returns and details of immovable properties is needed

Repayment of these loans generally start 6 months after the completion of the course or if the student gets a job immediately after completing the course.  The maximum time given for the repayment is around 15 years counted from the date of the first disbursement.

We urge all students to take your own time to really go through the loan agreement’s fine print before you sign it. Keep your eyes open — a few things you should be checking for include the interest structure, pre-payment details, or if there is any option for you to extend it in case you are unemployed after graduation. If you have any questions, you should get in touch with the bank advisor. Be clear of the whole loan process and understand its clauses.

These are just a few facts you should be aware of, while approaching a bank for a loan

Saturday, 25 February 2017

Know the basics - PR in Australia

Most international students, who are currently studying in Australia or would like to study in the future, would be interested to know the prospect of gaining Australian permanent residency (PR).  Here we have addressed some common general questions below.

What does it mean to be an Australian PR or Permanent Resident?
An Australian permanent resident is a non-citizen who holds a permanent visa to live, work or study in Australia. Permanent resident holders are given most of the rights and entitlements of Australian citizens such as Medicare and are treated as locals without voting rights

What is the process to gain permanent resident visa after studies?
Australia is always in need of skilled people and Australia has been building its population through immigration from the past 200 years. Australia welcomes international students and will continue to provide an opportunity for those who have the necessary qualifications and skills. There are also several other visa categories open to international students and Australia has a very straightforward path to permanent residency under the skilled migration program.

Many international students choose to apply for permanent residency after they graduate. To do so, you must ‘express interest’ through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s SkillSelect migration program. SkillSelect is an online service that allows applicants to be considered for a skilled visa by submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). Applicants must provide personal details; a nominated occupation; information about work experience and education; information about their level of English language proficiency; details of a skills assessment related to the nominated occupations; and information about business and investment experience. This service allows applications for a number of visas.

For graduates, the most likely option is the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). The Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) is a points-tested visa for skilled workers aged 18 to 49 who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. Along with submitting an EOI, applicants must undergo a skills assessment. This provides evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for the nominated occupation.

For more information please see: www.border.gov.au  

Note: It’s strongly advised to use the services of a registered migration agent in Australia registered with the office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) for further advice. A list of registered migration agents can be found at https://www.mara.gov.au/

How can I improve my chances of gaining PR?
There are several ways to improve the likelihood of gaining PR in Australia. Studying in Australia is and gaining a degree from recognized Australian institute,  after completing your degree to gain work experience and language skills through the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485); completing a more advanced qualification; studying in regional area, English language skills; and completing a Professional Year Program (PYP) all help you with the application.

How does the ‘points test’ work?
The points test is a way adopted by the immigration department to determine if applicants suitability for a visa. To submit a Expression of Interest (EOI), applicants must score at least 60 points to be invited to apply for a visa. Points are awarded for the following factors: age, English language ability, skilled employment, qualifications, Australian study, and other factors such as your partner’s skills and qualifications or study in a regional area of Australia.

Each category has a different point allocation and some have scales depending on factors such as your age range or level of English language proficiency.

Applicants may also receive five points if they have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications at an Australian institution. To be eligible, the course must have been:

  • registered through the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
  • Completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months
  • Completed as a result of at least two academic years of study
  • Taught in English
  • Completed while in Australia.

For more information about the points test for the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa, see the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website or see a registered migration agent registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Scholarships & Bursaries for Studying Abroad

There are many scholarships available to Indian students wanting to study abroad. Mostly all the scholarships are merit-based and students need to demonstrate their eligibility when applying. In addition to this various institutions offer different types of scholarships for students wanting to study abroad from time to time.

These awards are based on a student's academic, artistic, athletic or other abilities, and often factor in an applicant's extracurricular activities and community service record.

These are scholarships for applicants who initially qualify based on factors such as gender, race, religion, family and medical history, or many other student-specific factors. Minority scholarships are the most common awards in this category, but qualifications will vary based on the particular scholarship.

These are scholarships awarded by a country to students planning to pursue a study abroad program in that particular country. They are awarded as an incentive to study in that country instead of elsewhere. Check with government-sponsored education websites of the country where you wish to study to see what scholarships are available.

Subject-specific scholarships are awarded by study abroad programs or institutions to students based on their particular major or field of study. These scholarships may require the recipients to enroll in subject-specific courses while abroad or conduct subject-specific research while abroad, but it’s important to note that qualifications will vary based on each scholarship.

Our experienced Counselors will guide and help you with the eligibility criteria and scholarship process